Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ahead of the world

New Year’s Eve and could I possibly be spending the last day of 2006 any further away from where I spent the first? Was Mum’s roast dinner so bad I had to come 13000 miles away? Well, of course it wasn’t but here I was in Auckland New Zealand at the end of an eventful year.

Checked out a few more sights during the day, including a Kiwi supermarket (they don’t sell Kiwis amazingly) and Takapuna Beach, which is just north of Devonport and looks across to omnipresent Rangitoto. Here we all are, on the last day of 2006. Not a bad place to spend it.



Shortly before an alcohol absorption meal of bangers and mash I took a stroll through The Domain. It’s a delightful open space to have right on the doorstep of the city. At its highest point is the Auckland Museum, which I’m sure is chokka of all things New Zealand, like pavlova, Crowded House, 23 breeds of sheep and Russell Crowe.



So an Auckland New Year, and it was great. Sure we didn’t see any fireworks but aren’t you fed up of those Sydney firework displays yet? It was good to spend it with some very good friends and as a bonus I got to meet a few random people from Devon and proceeded to sing songs about not being able to read or write but having abilities in tractor driving.



HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

No comments: