Tuesday, February 13, 2007

All over the place

I’ve been clocking up the miles just recently, taking in the East Melbourne suburbs on Thursday and Friday, but making it back to Canberra in time on Friday night to see a good part of the cricket on TV which, for once, I was glad of! Saturday was spent in Canberra where there was a multicultural festival in the city centre, full of food and entertainment from all over the world – I have never seen Canberra centre so busy or so cosmopolitan come to think of it. You really get used to having lots of space and not having to walk round avoiding bumping into people!

On Sunday afternoon I caught a flight up to Sydney, where it rained and rained and rained! Getting off the plane and on to a bus (a gap of 2 or 3 metres) was enough to get a southern hemisphere soaking. There wasn’t quite enough rain to save the Aussies however, as England miraculously won the one-day cricket competition. I think I am pretty good luck – I was in Sydney when England won the first game against Australia, then in Melbourne the day they won the second and then in Sydney for the third.
I was in Sydney again for some training on Monday and Tuesday and, whilst I didn’t get much time to see the city, I was staying in a quite luxurious room overlooking Darling Harbour.



It was nice to wonder down that way as I hadn’t really been around this area in my trips to Sydney so far in this stint down under.





On Monday night I experienced a pleasant enough meal in Chinatown followed by a cuppa watching the world go by on George Street. Tuesday was mostly spent in an office and then back to Sydney airport again, where the good people of Qantas managed to find me a space on an earlier flight so I could get back to Canberra at a decent hour.

So Canberra is home again, but not for long – Saturday and my two week odyssey to Victoria and Tasmania commences. I can’t wait! This will probably be my last post in a while as I am not sure they have computers down in Tasmania. Excellent! Look out for news and copious lashings of photogenic highlights from down south in a few weeks!

Neilio

No comments: