Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oh, hello

The rise from the post-Christmas holiday lull has been as rapid as that of the thermometer… new iPods, meaty BBQs, lovingly made coffee all trumped hands down by the simple fact that it is summer. With the heat topping 38C in the week I was itching to get to the coast and made my way down there for the day on Sunday. It was a pretty standard trip to the south coast of New South Wales, where things are so blessed you just simply point your car in an easterly direction and you are guaranteed some vivid sea, sandy sand and bushy bush.



The first such place was Myrtle Beach, reached by avoiding lizards down a dirt track in Murramarang National Park, providing the first sand in toes and feet in water experience of 2009. Back on the highway, random road trip playlist 1 on shuffle and a great bit of road underneath the wheels, I headed further North to Burrill Lake, seemingly populated by bogans on holiday but happily home to a fine fish and chip shop with an equally fine spot to eat it by the water at Dolphin Point. All that was left was a lazy laze about on the beach for the afternoon, and a quick dip in the pleasant water at Tabourie Beach.



With long daylight hours and Clyde Mountain behind me, time was ample to detour slightly on the way home to Monga National Park, home to a bush landscape of ferns and towering trees which is pretty much typical along the coastal ranges of eastern Australia. So typical I’m sure I had been here before, nonetheless it made for a nice half way stop on the drive back to Canberra. Sure, I’ve had the coffee, the laksa, the shorts wearing, the kangaroo spotting but I feel only now that my feet have got wet do I feel properly back

No comments: