Saturday, June 05, 2010

Tea and sympathy





As I write this I am going through that sentimental stage of jetlag infused fondness for times past and people afar, going through the whole questioning my existence and purpose and situation as I lie awake at four in the morning. It is much fun, but at least I can take solace that I have been through it several times before and I know, like the sleepless nights, things perk up and the sheer goldenness of Australia begins to filter through the haze. For now though, it’s getting through the day with tea and sympathy and the odd square of chocolate which returned the 12,000 miles with me (which for the record is: a UK Cadbury Dairy Milk and Caramel bar and two Double Deckers, a Lindt Almond Praline feast, a chocolate orange truffle bar from France, a Swiss milk chocolate and coffee bar, and another bar of degustation dark 74% chocolate kindly donated to the cause from France).

Another comfort is the fact that I have been fortunate enough to be able to go back to the UK and Europe quite a few times during my stint down under, and will be fortunate enough to do so again in the future. What makes these trips so special? Well, mainly the people of course, which I have to say as some of you are avid readers... but it is true. That’s why I try to pack in as many visits and catch ups as possible in such a short timeframe, no matter how brief. It leaves me tired, but a happy tired. Then there is that kind of familiarity and attachment I have in my genes and the comfort and joy which comes with this - some food types of course. Plymouth City Centre. The BBC. Plus I think the UK has some stunning beauty, diverse landscapes and urban spaces. And the weather is good (luck has mostly shone on me in that regard). If you don’t believe me read on...

No comments: