Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sublime and ridiculous

Canberra is beautiful but after a few weeks here I find the urge to leave the confines of the territory becomes too strong, plus I need to post some pictures of stuff other than Canberra to keep all you avid readers happy! However, Canberra’s beauty was all too evident as the sun went down on Saturday evening…



…and then again as the sun crept up over the misty Sunday morning horizon.



Just under two hours from this early capital sunrise, whizzing up the Federal, Hume and Illawarra Highways, I found myself at Fitzroy Falls on the northern edge of Morton National Park. It was time to go bush! I came here once before but it was so misted in you could only see the top of the falls and little else. Today however the views were great and, along with the screeching cockatoos and fragrant peppermint gum and flowering yellow wattle, presented the perfect all round Aussie bush experience. Here’s some of the scenery…
















This is my lunch spot, probably one of the nicer places I have shared with a cheese and ham sandwich!














It sure was a lookout extravaganza…this was the last one, further west near Tallong, looking down on the Shoalhaven river.


After the sublime of Australia it was the ridiculousness of Europe, driving back to Canberra to watch a delayed broadcast of Eurovision with a bunch of Aussies… some Serbian ‘thing’ winning. Personally I was disappointed the Swiss entry “Vampires are Alive” got knocked out. As they say, strewth, ding-a-dong-a-ling-bing mate.

No comments: