Saturday, August 25, 2007

Here we go again...

My journey back to Australia passed in the blink of an eye. A very slow blinking eye but at least all went to schedule and most importantly the Australian Quarantine Service let me bring Granny Wobbly’s crumbly fudge into their country. So, year 2 and it felt like the start of a new school year after such a long and wonderful break. I returned to a sparsely furnished home in a cool and cloudy Canberra but pleased at least to see my bed, where I spent the next few days at all sorts of hours.

Of course there is a great deal of familiarity compared with this time last year but there is also a sense of starting out again. The main thing to worry about is finding somewhere to live, but fingers crossed I seem to have that sorted. Sure, my commute will change from a 15 to 20 minute walk, but for my money I’ll be getting two rooms (so no excuses for visiting!)…keep watching for exciting moving news! I’m also hunting a car, which is tricky given that I am pretty useless with cars. Hopefully though I will have something to show in the next few weeks. So, new home, new car but same old job. Any thought of a gentle reintroduction to working life was swept aside but at least it made the days pass quickly and I got to produce some snazzy charts!

The weather has been a little disappointing since I’ve returned, not the usual clear Canberra days but a lot more cloud. However, I certainly seem to have missed the worst of winter and the daytimes are pleasantly warm and the weekend has fined up quite nicely. Putting off the many things I need to do (cleaning, packing, car hunting) I prepared myself to dust off the cobwebs of deadly spiders on my bike on Saturday, only to find the tyres a bit flat and no pump to hand. Instead though I took a walk past Old Parliament House and along the lake shores of Yarralumla, where Spring was well and truly in the air.






What a tonic this place is! Returning last week I was tired and grouchy, it was cold and miserable, I had the prospect of nowhere to live and I had to work again. But getting out there today, feeling the sun on my face and watching the Rosellas and Silvereyes (pictured) enjoying the blossom as much as me was just lovely.

It’s not just the blossom which is coming out at the moment but the all Australian wattle. I noticed it lining the road from Sydney to Canberra and it was in evidence again in the sculpture gardens of the National Gallery, interspersed with the iconic white gum trees. I figured out the smell is a bit like marzipan and I love marzipan, so no complaints from me.

Gum trees, wattle, Australian Idol, Cockatoos, Coles, the Captain Cook Memorial Fountain and the Telstra Tower. It took a while, but I feel back!

No comments: