Sunday, November 11, 2007

Motoring to Moruya


After a pleasant Saturday perusing the National Gallery, having coffee in Kingston and throwing some meat on the BBQ, my itchy get-out-of-Canberra feet were increasingly taking a hold of me, walking me to the car and putting the foot on the accelerator and driving me east to the coast. It was a beautiful day after somewhat cool and damp weather lately, perfect to cross the escarpment and dip my feet in the ocean. After the twists and turns of the descent of Clyde Mountain it was nice to be on the flat, lush farmland of the Moruya region.



I headed to Moruya Heads, which presented the archetypal South Coast scenes of sparsely populated beaches, beautiful blue water and bush. After a little wander round I settled for a read of the papers, a dip in the water, a bit more of a read, another dip and another wander around the rocks. Not a bad spot to relax on a Sunday afternoon and worth the two hour drive.



I couldn’t sit on the beach and read the papers all day (well, actually I could), so headed around the coastline for another wander through part of Eurobodalla National Park to admire more of the views and the ambience of being beside the seaside.


I clearly wasn't going to leave the coast without eating fish and chips, especially after talking about it at length on Friday, and so headed back to Moruya where, frankly, I was disappointed. The fish and chips were distinctly average and I had to share it with the flies and seagulls. Never mind, at least Santa Claus is coming to town.


The fish and chips and sea air left me feeling a little fatigued and not really looking forward to the hike back but in the end I really enjoyed the drive. I cranked up some sing-a-long-oasis which I hadn’t listened to for some time, sang along loudly and cruised the quiet roads. Before the climb up the mountain I veered off onto a dirt road to check out the view.

The sun lowering in the sky, with storm clouds brewing over the interior, cast dramatic light over the golden plains and rolling hills of the tablelands, making the journey back a pleasure and providing one final encore beside the lake in Canberra. Bar the slightly disappointing fish and chips it was an excellent day and it’s good to know the South Coast can be a reasonable day trip. I returned home glowing from the day by the sea… I guess the only other downside of the day will be the white un-tanned moustachioed part of my face come December!

No comments: