Thursday, August 14, 2008

Las Ketchup

After a fine spell reacquainting myself with Britain and how, according to just about everyone, it is going downhill, it was time to move on, leave British things behind and move to a corner of Spain. Which is of course, full of British people constantly whingeing about how hot it is, eating fish and chips and watching the ever-worsening Eastenders.

Perversely it was a very warm day when Mum, Bethany and I departed the shed at Exeter Airport and headed to Quesada, Dona Pepa, Whatever, Somewhere, Spain. OK, it was pretty hot here but not to be whinged at for goodness sake! Clearly the pool was a popular place throughout and very nice it was too, in the times between screaming children enjoying themselves and having fun (tut tut!)




Other activities in my few days over there involved braving dodgy driving for visits to a couple of Spanish towns. Calpe is semi-famous for a big rock, a very average beach (come on, it’s tough beating Australia), and my only slightly authentic Spanish eating experience involving some chorizo and a baguette! It’s a lovely drive and the area around the rock is thankfully undeveloped and worthy of a wander (unless it’s too hot).


Another morning was spent in Orihuela, an inland town which is actually full of Spanish people (they do exist!) and is typically Spanish… hot, dusty, god-fearing and with a sprinkling of old buildings and architecture.



I think most of my time though was spent trying to keep my niece Bethany amused and out of trouble. Let me tell you, reciting alternate letters of the alphabet and counting to 100 gets a little weary from time to time. But I can’t complain as I managed to avoid being subjected to High School The Musical (however, I did learn that Troy really loves Gabriella or something. Really loves. I was surprised, as Troy didn’t look like the kind of guy who would be into that kind of thing). I also shamelessly went along eating the local food, which included a BBQ, fish and chips, Chinese, and a big deep fried platter.

It seems, then, that I managed to depart Spain my Britishness clearly intact. Next stop France, and greater challenges lay ahead on a path dotted with very smelly cheese…

No comments: