Sunday, March 25, 2007

Canberra Hill #7

OK, I admit I am slightly jealous of the UK now that our clocks have gone back heralding the end of summer. Whilst it was still 32C on Friday, Sunday brought a cool change and an autumnal feel to things, but it was bright and breezy and seemingly ideal for a bike and hike.

The bike part took me along past Old Parliament House and across the lake, heading east under the shadow of Black Mountain to Mount Painter. Unlike many of Canberra’s hills this one is pretty bush-less and exposed (thank to some pesky European settlers clearing the land I guess). Parking my bike at the bottom, I walked along the exposed dirt track up to a fairly steep rocky summit which exposed me to the full blast of the cool southerly. In parts it was a bit like a Dartmoor Tor and certainly felt cool enough to be in Devon! Anyway, the views were great, taking a bit of a different angle on Black Mountain and an extensive panorama of the Brindabella Ranges to the East and South.














The cycle back was pretty tough going as my energy seemed to get sapped by the now strong headwind I was pedalling into. I just couldn’t be bothered with any incline more than 5 degrees and it was a bit of relief when I made it the National Museum where I was relieved by a cappuccino and brownie! That gave me enough energy to reach the homecoming beacon that is the statue of Edmund Barton and to my room and this laptop and the Internet where I went onto this blogsite where I typed up these words as the darkness fell all too early.

No comments: