Sunday, April 01, 2007

Fooling around

My brain seems to be frazzled, I have a bit of writer’s block and can’t think what to write but I know you regular readers will all be expecting an update! So here goes…

Well, Wednesday was a midweek extravaganza visiting three New South Wales country towns for work. The first place was Bungendore, just 30 minutes east of Canberra but another world away in terms of the quality of the coffee! Then north to Goulburn, where there is a big fibre glass Merino sheep, which despite being labelled the “BIG Merino” proved impossible to find…you know, it’s not like some little house or a famous tree stump, it’s a big bloody plastic sheep, and I couldn’t find it! Leaving Goulburn disappointed I headed west to Yass, where there is no big merino but a great big ice cream served by a little lady from the north of England. Yeah, you couldn’t make it up. Oh well, a fun road trip and whilst the scenery was very samey (rolling hills, ghost gums dotted with sheep (small ones)) it was good to get out into the country.

On Thursday night I watched TV. Mainly because the annoying announcers on TV were telling me there was “A life changing event you cannot afford to miss as some American crime solving series that we constantly bombard you with takes the biggest unexpected twist that you never saw coming and your life will never be the same again” all in the style of that movie trailer announcer guy. They say that about everything on TV, you cannot afford to miss anything if they are to believed, even some episode of The Biggest Loser where some overweight Aussies break down because they couldn’t fit 3 Mars Bars in their mouths!

I dragged myself away from the TV on Saturday and went for a stroll around Parliament House with my camera. Now this is a risky business these days, especially as there is an advert from the Australian government warning you that foreigners taking pictures are potential terrorists and you should call the “Dob in hotline”. Luckily though I managed to take a few pictures without having my memory card confiscated.

On Sunday I had brunch in Manuka which, by time it came, was effectively lunch. So, I’m gonna bad mouth Jones The Grocer. Stick to selling overpriced groceries Jonesy! It was a very beautiful day so in the afternoon I took the bike out, again suffering on any inclines and dragging it kicking and screaming up Red Hill. At the top of Red Hill I played with my focal length and aperture.








Coming down Red Hill was much better than going up, freewheeling practically all the way back home…I love that run. Just one necessary stop at the supermarket for some burgers and stuff for a good early evening BBQ before it got dark.

Mmmm, now if only I could post smells of sizzling onions on the blog!

No comments: