Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The great Friday Canberra escape

In the departure lounge again! This time I’m part of the great Canberra Friday night get-away. I think all the pollies have gone already though, probably knocked off at 12 for a boozy lunch and then got the hell out of dodge. As much as I have been an advocate of all things Canberra so far, it’s nice to get away. I didn’t come here just to work and stick around Canberra 24/7. So Melbourne it is…can’t wait.

So Canberra airport isn’t the most major hub in the world. I don’t know how many capital cities have an airport 10 mins drive from the city centre?! There’s one shop and one café (which serves reasonable food nonetheless) and the odd sculpture littering the place.

The flight left 30 minutes late but it was a mere 50 minute hop to a wet and cold Melbourne (6C). I was met at the airport by my amazing hosts, Haeli, Adele and Trevor who took me back past the sparkling city skyline through the flat suburbs before ascending the windy roads to their beautiful home on the edge of the Dandenongs overlooking the city. Million dollar view I think they call it.

No comments: