Saturday, September 23, 2006

On yer bike

I have truly joined the Canberra set now with the purchase of a bike.
Here is my new toy.


It’s been a few years since I last rode a bike, but I seemed to get the hang of it on a jaunt along the southern edge of Lake Burley Griffin (with the exception of 2 heavy braking incidents after taking a couple of bends at high speed!) The good thing is I went about 10km without having to cycle on a road. The route takes you past all the government stuff and into Yarralumla, where there are marinas and something approaching a beach (some gravel by the lakeside!). The route changes as you travel through a patch of pine forest and then you reach some fancy government house type thing with kangaroos grazing on the vast grounds. The lake finally ends at a Scrivener Dam, which is really quite rural…farmland and hills rising to the west and Black Mountain across the lake to the North.

The ride back was along the same route (I’m sure there is some circular potential but didn’t want to get lost!) Now I just have to deal with these aching muscles that haven’t been used in a while!

No comments: