Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The race that stops a nation

Today was the Melbourne Cup and I won $2.60! I also lost $6.40...
So, yeah, the Melbourne Cup, a race that stops the nation on a Tuesday can't be bad. Come 3 o'clock the Canberra streets were deserted (what's new?!) and eyes were glued to screens, hats were wedged to heads and chicken was being digested. I watched it in work, where a big screen was constructed (a promising development for the Ashes), hot chicken and salad was brought in, along with champagne and some sweet treats. Being the new boy, I got to organise the sweepstakes and just about managed to sort it all out in between eating chicken.
Some horse whose name I have forgotten already won. It was a close finish. The top two were Japanese horses, and the post race interview was classic, some Aussie drongo trying to interview somebody who didn't speak a word of English.
So that was my Melbourne Cup experience. I guess the great thing about it is the communal aspect... everyone just stops what they are doing and gets together, has a bit of food and drink and good times roll. Next up sports fans it's the PMs XI v England on Friday, bring it on!

No comments: