Saturday, November 11, 2006

so here we go...


Blue skies, 26C, a perfect day for cricket. I joined the full house at Manuka Oval, a place I walk past on my way to work everyday, to watch the Prime Minister's XI take on England.

The PMs XI settled in gently to their innings and somehow managed to make 347 in 50 overs...it never really seemed like they were slogging it around or anything. Well, I didn't care too much as the plastic beer cups were starting to stack up, the amazingly crafted chants of "Ausse Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi" were ringing in my ears and I had not one, but two meat pies!

A strong England batting line up never really threatened the total. It was a shame both Flintoff and Pieterson fell cheaply as they could've livened up the afternoon. Mahmood did hit a six rather close to where we were sat, some drongo lost out on 500 bucks though by dropping it.

It wasn't all bad though, as England only arrived on Monday and have been doing the media circus, playing cricket with Prime Ministers, they must be pretty knackered! And here is Freddie Flintoff thankfully bowling again...



What it does mean is that I face a long tough summer if things carry on this way. It's almost like I've been brought in to be the token Pommie so that they can give me stick about the cricket! Still, the England flag is flying on my desk. Laters sports fans.

No comments: