Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Friday 6th-Monday 9th October: In Victoria

Friday evening saw me arrive in St. Kilda, the seaside bit of Melbourne on Port Phillip Bay. It has the seaside lot – a seaside esplanade, a seaside beach, seaside amusement park, seaside pier and seaside fish & chips. I arrived by the tram, a journey I was to get to know fairly well over the next few days.

So, the sun set over Port Phillip Bay and I would see it rise again in the morning with a few drinks in between…

The first drink I had on Friday night was a good old pint of Tetleys in a “British / Irish” pub. This place had a good live band too and sold a nice burger. Oh yes, pint of Tetleys and a burger. Yes indeed. About seven hours later I seem to remember drinking water in some place playing R&B (hmmm my favourite!) and going to bed hearing the birds greeting dawn.

So with very little sleep I won’t bore you too many of the details of Saturday, but they included brekkie in St Kilda and falling asleep several times in the Dandenongs. Do you know, I also had a London-like experience in Melbourne? Travelling back from the Dandenongs by train to St Kilda took something like 2 ½ hours, thanks to weekend engineering work Something going on in Camberwell. Or was it Mitcham? Well they say Melbourne is the most like a British City!

No comments: